History of Felin Geri

Felin Geri Mill in the snow
Felin Geri Mill in the snow

Early History of Felin Geri Mill

The Rules of the Mill 1849
The Rules of the Mill 1849

 

Built in the 1500’s the history of Felin Geri Mill has been recorded since it was first noted as a working flour mill in 1610. It is named after the river Ceri – the tributary of the river Teifi that has powered the water wheel for the mill for hundreds of years.

The original mill was part of the Lloyd of Cilgwyn estate. The current building is a small water-powered flour mill, altered or rebuilt in 1805 by Thomas Lloyd and Admiral Richard Braithwaite. It remained with the Lloyd family after Cilgwyn was left to Braithwaite’s descendants, Thomas Lloyd being recorded as the owner in 1841.

In 1879 T. Lloyd of Plasybridell gave a lease to D. Jones on condition of the mill being repaired and re-equipped with new machinery. At this point a saw mill was developed alongside the flour mill – two water wheels running next to each other was a most unusual sight. Gradually the saw mill became more important and by the 1950’s there was virtually no corn being milled and that was mostly for animal feed.

The 1970’s – Felin Geri Restored

Logo on a flour bag in the 1970's
Logo on a flour bag in the 1970's

Having been auctioned in 1972 the mill was fully restored from dereliction by 1975, with some of the building being taken down and rebuilt. The roof was re-stressed, the attic floor replaced, stones redressed and the wheel repaired. The millstream was cleared and the sluices controlling water flow were overhauled.

Felin Geri was then opened to the public as a working flour mill and tourist attraction. HRH the Prince of Wales presented Felin Geri with a European Architectural Heritage Award in 1975, in recognition of the faithful restoration of the mill. With tea rooms and Japanese restaurant it was a successful enterprise for a number of years but then sadly fell into disrepair again in the 1990’s.

Felin Geri Today

Felin Geri Mill in 2011
Felin Geri Mill in 2011
Felin Geri Mill next to the Cafe and Bar
Felin Geri Mill next to the Cafe and Bar
Ceri Safari Tent through the trees
Ceri through the trees

In 2007 we fell in love with this Welsh paradise and soon knew we wanted to share it with like minded people and let the mill come alive again.

Neglected and untouched for over 20 years when we first came here, we quickly realised how family and friends would relax and wind down while staying in this idyllic place. Knowing its past we started to look for the right type of holiday experience for visitors without spoiling its special feel.

Simple and blending in with the environment, the idea of ‘Glamping,’ luxury safari tent camping holidays, came about. Giving people the perfect opportunity to relax and enjoy the surroundings, close to nature; remote but not too remote.

We delighted in uncovering the previously marked out woodland walks and rebuilding the tea rooms into the Mill Café and Bar. Our guests can now enjoy a coffee, glass of wine and a bite to eat. We invite both previous visitors and new guests to Felin Geri  to be won over by its unique Welsh charm.

Our long term aim is to restore the mill and water wheel, not as a viable flour producing mill as it was in the 1970s, but as a museum. Currently the mill leat does not flow properly and is one of the challenges that lies ahead. We hope to ensure the security of Felin Geri as part of Welsh history.

On several occasions people have knocked on the door saying they visited as a child and had very happy memories. We want this feeling of belonging to happen again – for people to feel at home and return time after time – developing their own relationship with this very special place and seeing the mill being restored over the next few years.